Release Date: 4/29/2010
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is an upcoming video game currently in development by Kojima Productions and is slated to be released for the PlayStation Portable in 2010. Peace Walker will be the first Metal Gear title for a portable platform directed by series' creator Hideo Kojima. The story will take place following the events of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater and Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops.
- Some changes are made to the standard Metal Gear Solid formula.
- Movement is done on the analog stick; actions such as crouching and co-op actions use the directional-pad; melee actions, which include multiple throws within crowds of enemies, use the R button; and weapons use the L button with the R button.
- Players will be unable to move while lying down, and will also have to crouch in order to pick up items dropped by soldiers.
- The game itself cannot be paused while displaying the menu. The PSP would have to be put in Sleep mode to pause the game.
- The game will feature a heavy emphasis on co-operative gameplay, with two players in main missions and up to four players in boss missions. Players can choose one of four different Snakes with different layouts.
- For example, Armored Snake features heavy weapons at the expense of mobility and stealth, while Naked Snake moves faster at the cost of lower defense. There are several actions that can take place when two Snakes are next to each other. 'Snake-in' allows players to hold on to each other as one player leads the way, also allowing the Snakes to fire on the move.
- Other co-operative actions include holding up closing doors, performing CPR on fallen comrades, sharing items, and acting as a spotter for other players whose vision is obscured.
- Japanese voice actor for each character are listed first, followed by their English voice actor.
- Naked Snake (also known as Big Boss) voiced by Akio Ohtsuka/David Hayter - Former member of the CIA special forces unit FOX and the founder of FOXHOUND. An expert in combat and stealth infiltration, Snake has spent the past few years in Colombia leading a mercenary group known as the Militaires Sans Frontières (MSF). He is also struggling with the guilt of killing The Boss.
- Kazuhira Miller voiced by Tomokazu Sugita/Robin Atkin Downes - Miller is involved in the management of the MSF. The child of an American officer and a Japanese woman, he was born during the US military's occupation of Japan and was given the name Kazuhira (和平?, an inversion of the word heiwa, Japanese for "peace"). He serves in the Japan Self-Defense Force after graduating from college in the US, but is eventually discharged and works as a mercenary. His travels eventually lead him to meet Snake in Colombia.
- Paz Ortega Andrade voiced by Nana Mizuki/Tara Strong - A young Costa Rican girl who is an advocate of peace, per her Spanish first name. She is studying her country's Peace Constitution under Galvez at the University for Peace. They hire the "Soldiers without Borders" to eliminate the mysterious armed force and restore peace to the nation.
- Ramón Gálvez Mena voiced by Hōchū Ōtsuka/Steve Blum - Paz's former instructor. A veteran professor of peace studies, Gálvez currently teaches at Costa Rica's University for Peace. He accepts Paz's request to seek help from the "Soldiers Without Borders." However, Gálvez may have some motives of his own.
- Amanda Valenciano Libre voiced by Romi Park/Grey Delisle
- Huey voiced by Hideyuki Tanaka/Christopher Randolph - A wheelchair-bound scientist who is hinted to be related to Hal Emmerich, a character from previous installments.
- Chico voiced by Kikuko Inoue/Antony Del Rio
- Strangelove voiced by Yumi Kikuchi/Vanessa Marshall
- Coldman voiced by Mugihito/H. Richard Greene
- Cécile Cosina Caminades voiced by Yū Kobayashi/Catherine Taber