Release Date: 8/6/2009
Company: Square Enix
Version: Japan - NTR-P-CYJJ
Blood of Bahamut is a role-playing game by Square Enix. It was released for the Nintendo DS in Japan on August 6, 2009. The game has not been announced for release outside the region. Blood of Bahamut is an action role-playing game in which up to four players battle giant beasts that are featured on both screens of the DS. In order to defeat a giant, players must first destroy its protective armor, then attack its "core," and finally attack its other body parts. The giants can summon smaller beasts, which the players must battle simultaneously. Defeating a giant's body parts and the smaller beasts will grant players "materials" which can be used to produce powerful weapons. The game will contain over 130 missions.
- The game is set in a city built on the back of a great beast known as a Gigant. The city suddenly comes under attack and protagonists Ibuki and Yui must defend it as well as other cities that were built on Gigants that are awakening. The story features seven main characters in total. The Gigants are sentient, and will also attempt to defend themselves, taking part in battles. The Gigants include Chaos Bahamut, Ifrit, Shiva, Fenrir, and Gilgamesh, many of which are also the names of summon monsters depicted in Square Enix's popular Final Fantasy series.
- Ibuki (イブキ?): The male main protagonist armed with a sword. He is a summoner with the power of the White Dragon residing in his body.
- Yui (ユイ?): A female Gigant-clan member who wields a cane staff.
- Kamo-Ogre (カモ＝オウガ, Kamo-Ouga?): Commander of the Ifreet clan, uses a battle axe.
- Santiago (サンチアゴ, Sanchiago?): Fenrir clan elder, wields a spear.
- Ryuma (リュマ?) Broke from the Shiva clan to travel the world as a 'free spirit', wields a hand-held cannon.
- Ren (レン?): Another Gigant clan swordsman. Wields a samurai's katana.
- Aslan (アスラン, Asuran?): Knight of unknown origins, wields a greatsword.
- Blood of Bahamut was directed by Motomu Toriyama, who previously worked on numerous other Square Enix titles included the Super Nintendo tactical role-playing game Bahamut Lagoon. Before its official announcement, its trademarking prompted rumours of a connection to Bahamut Lagoon. Such a connection has not been confirmed or denied by Square Enix. Blood of Bahamut was produced by Eisuke Yokoyama, who recently worked on Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings. The team stated that their goal was to "[...] cross the limits of the DS with a dynamic feel and with a direct sense of control." The game's music is composed by Naoshi Mizuta. The official soundtrack was released in Japan on August 12, 2009.
- Famitsu gave Blood of Bahamut a score of 31 out of 40