Release Date: 11/15/2009
Company: Nintendo of America
New Super Mario Bros. Wii is a side-scrolling platform video game being published and developed by Nintendo for the Wii video game console. The game was announced at Nintendo's press conference at Electronic Entertainment Expo 2009, and is slated for release in 2009. It will be the first game in the Super Mario Bros. series to feature multiplayer gameplay.
- The game uses elements of New Super Mario Bros. and also includes, for the first time in a Mario Bros. series game, simultaneous multiplayer capability of up to four players. It is played in classic style, with the Wii Remote held horizontally. Some movements such as jumping and attacks are performed with the buttons, whereas others like spinning in midair and picking up other players are performed by shaking the Wii Remote.
- According to the E3 2009 demo, players can play as four characters from the Mario series: Mario (player one), Luigi (player two), and two Toad characters: one blue (player three) and one yellow (player four).
- Players are able to pick each other up and throw them. If a player dies, he can resume play if one of the other players hits a bubble with him in it.
- Items come in multiple quantities, either from item blocks, or bubbles that float by on screen. New items have been added, including a Propeller Suit which allows players to fly and a Penguin Suit which allows players to freeze enemies.
- Players will also be able to ride on Yoshis, who display characteristics similar to the Yoshis found in Super Mario World and Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.
- While co-operatively played, the game also features competitive elements, such as trying to get the most points or coins. Rankings for each player are given at the end of each level, including stats such as enemies defeated, coins collected, and total points.
- Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto confirmed during his roundtable interview in E3 2009 that the game will not feature online multiplayer.
- The game will also be the first game on the Wii to feature "demo play", where players will be able to pause the game, let the game complete the level for them, and resume play at any time by unpausing.
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii was announced at the Electronic Entertainment Expo 2009. The game was created in response to Shigeru Miyamoto's desire to create the Mario series's single player gameplay for multiple players, as he was unable to bring these ideas to fruition in the previous installments. The Wii's hardware allowed him to have all the enemies and items on one screen, and allowed a camera that could focus on all players at once. The Koopalings (who orginally appeared as Bowser's children in early Mario Bros. games) appear as major villains of this game.